What is a traineeship?
Our Kent based traineeships have been developed to help young people aged 16 – 24, who have little work experience, gain the skills required for the workplace. Often used as routes into an apprenticeship or employment, traineeships not only provide work preparation training and work experience but English and maths support as well.
Our traineeships are available in hairdressing, barbering, beauty therapy and customer services.
Am I eligible for a traineeship in Kent?
You will be eligible for a traineeship if you are:
- Aged 16 – 24
- Are not currently in a job and have little work experience. (You must be focused on work or the prospect of it)
- Are qualified below Level 3
- Have a reasonable chance of being ready for employment or an apprenticeship within six months of engaging in a traineeship
What are the three key elements of our Kent traineeship programmes?
- A work placement at one of our chosen employers. This will give you meaningful work experience and allow you to develop workplace skills which are valued by future employers
- A focussed period of work preparation training. You will cover areas such as CV writing, interview preparation, job search and interpersonal skills
- English and maths. As these are seen as crucial employability skills, they are a mandatory part of your course unless you already have GCSE grade C or above. We offer you the opportunity to study functional skills in maths and English
For those on a longer traineeship programme, learners may be able to work towards a unit qualification which enables them to fast track when progressing to an apprenticeship programme.
Traineeship courses are expected to last from six weeks to six months and at the end of your course, you will be offered a guaranteed interview with a work placement host representative.
At any time after the first six weeks of your traineeship you can transfer to employment or an apprenticeship.
The Swale Skills Centre currently offers the following hair and beauty traineeships in Kent.
- Level 1 Hair & Beauty
- Level 2 Hair
- Level 2 Beauty
- Level 2 Barbering
- Level 3 Hair
- Level 3 Beauty
To find out more about our hair and beauty traineeships in Kent or to apply, please contact us today.