- BTEC Diploma
- Full Time
- 2 years
The BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering is a full time course for school students in KS5 who wish to continue their studies further in engineering.
Skills gained during the course
Upon completion of the course the students have the option of joining a university to study for a degree or alternatively, undertaking an apprenticeship in engineering.
This course comprises of seventeen modules with six compulsory units needed to complete the diploma. The compulsory units within this engineering BTEC allow students gain the required scientific and mathematical skills required for a career in the profession. Alongside this, students will also gain an understanding of project management and communication.
The compulsory modules of the Extended Diploma in Engineering are as follows:
- Unit 1: Engineering Principles
- Unit 2: Delivery of Engineering Processes safely as a team
- Unit 3: Engineering Product Design and Manufacture
- Unit 4: Applied commercial and quality principles in Engineering
- Unit 5: A specialist engineering project
- Unit 6: Microcontroller systems for engineers
- Unit 7: Calculus to solve Engineering Problems
The rest of the course is comprised of eleven of the following modules:
- Unit 10: Computer Aided Design in Engineering
- Unit 11: Engineering Maintenance Procedures and condition monitoring Techniques
- Unit 12: Application of Mechanical Systems
- Unit 13: Welding Technology
- Unit 16: Engineering Drawing for Technicians
- Unit 21: Secondary Finishing Techniques
- Unit 22: Fabrication and Process Technology
- Unit 30: Mechanical Measurement and Inspection Techniques
- Unit 40: Computer Aided Manufacturing and planning
- Unit 41: Manufacturing Secondary Machining Processes
- Unit 42: Manufacturing Primary forming processes
- Unit 43: Manufacturing CNC machining processes
- Unit 44: Fabrication manufacturing processes
- Unit 46: Manufacturing joining, finishing and assembly processes
The modules are set at the beginning of the course, for the entirety of the two year study but are subject to change if it is necessary to do so. It is the aim of the Swale Skills Centre to offer its students a broad based level 3 qualification, to help them make informed decisions about the fields of engineering that they wish to progress in.
As such, we offer a range of production engineering, engineering science, mechanical, electrical, electronic, business and design units as a part of this comprehensive engineering course.
Contact the Swale Skills Centre today to find out more about the BTEC Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Engineering. Or if you’re ready to apply, click the ‘How to Apply’ button now.