What to expect from a Level 1 Diploma: Introduction to Professional Cookery
On this course, students will study all of the basics a caterer or chef would be expected to know in a professional kitchen. Students will refine presentation skills, as well as the skills needed to prepare a variety of healthy and diet specific dishes.
The City and Guilds Introduction to Professional Cookery Diploma will also teach you crucial health and safety guidelines such as the correct sanitation procedures when preparing and handling food. These are all areas that students must study and strictly abide by whilst taking examinations and serving food to customers.
Students are expected to take on a number of observed practical assessments whilst on the course. These will be a mix of composing both single plates and multiple dishes to a professional standard. Health and safety guidelines learnt during the course must also be followed during practical assignments. Failure to abide by these will result in an assessment being stopped.
Tutors will be there to help every step of the way and will advise students on their assessments before they are due to take place.
Units studied on the Introduction to Professional Cookery Diploma:
There are 12 separate units that will be studied on this level 1 cookery diploma, each of which will be assessed in different ways.
- Assessment 602: Introduction to employability in the catering and hospitality industry
- Assessment 202: Food safety in catering
- Assessment 603: Health and safety awareness for catering and hospitality
- Assessment 604: Introduction to healthier foods and special diets
- Assessment 605: Introduction to kitchen equipment
- Assessment 607: Prepare and cook food by boiling, poaching and steaming
- Assessment 608: Prepare and cook food by stewing and braising
- Assessment 609: Prepare and cook food by baking, roasting and grilling
- Assessment 610: Prepare and cook food by deep frying and shallow frying
- Assessment 611: Regeneration of pre-prepared food
- Assessment 612: Cold food preparation
- Assessment 613: Introduction to professional cookery – craft assessment
To find out more about the City and Guilds Introduction to Professional Cookery Diploma, contact us online or give us a call on 01795 411 970. Alternatively, if you’re ready to apply, visit the ‘How to Apply’ page.